Wednesday, February 17, 2010

66 Love Letters A Conversation with God That Invites You Into His Story


66 Love Letters by Dr. Larry Crabb is an awesome book! The author has taken such a unique approach to helping people understand God’s Word. Each of the 66 love letters is a summary of each book of the Bible, written as a conversation between the author and God. From Genesis to Revelation, Dr. Crabb gets straight to the heart of God’s message to his people. Meant to be a tool to use along with the Word of God, not as a substitute, this book helps take the confusion out of even the most difficult portions of the Bible. If you have ever felt like reading the Bible sometimes turns into a chore, something to check off your “to do” list, this book is for you. I am on a through-the-bible-in-one-year reading plan, and I know some days I have found myself reading just to get through. The most tedious parts, such as the requirements for the building of the Tabernacle in Exodus, I often skim over and don’t get much out of. The amazing thing to me about Dr. Crabb’s work is that he has taken even these “boring” parts of the Bible and boiled it down to the bare bones of what God is really communicating to us. I have found that reading this book alongside the Bible has made me reflect so much more deeply on what God is speaking to me. Oh, and don’t skip the Prologue or the “How This Book Can Speak To You” sections at the beginning of the book. The first is insightful and informative, the latter beautifully written. I found myself rereading portions because it spoke to me so deeply. Not a book to sit down and read in a few days, but one to take slowly and saver as the pieces of God’s story come together as your own.