Monday, August 9, 2010

Let’s Do Lunch by Roger Troy Wilson


Roger Troy Wilson lost a significant amount of weight and this book details how he did it. I am giving this book 2 stars because the writing is good, but the diet itself is very questionable. The author states that anyone can lose weight by eating only the foods he has deemed as acceptable…basically no sugar other than that found in fruit, no bread, rice, noodles, potatoes, fatty meats, etc., etc. While the author frequently describes his diet in such a way as to make it seem unrestrictive, the foods he has outlawed are very numerous, and are not all things most people would call “unhealthy”. I do not at all agree with his emphasis on stuffing yourself with certain foods in order to avoid being tempted to eat others. I think overeating any food, healthy or not, is a bad idea and goes against the way God designed our bodies…there is a reason we feel sick when we overeat! At one point the author offers very specific ways to trick your body out of temptations by gorging on one of his recommended foods: “I figured out a way to get by without eating any pizza. If I was still hungry after eating fruit, I forced myself to eat soup until my stomach looked like a balloon that had just been filled with water. Or, I bloated myself with popcorn sprayed with olive oil or topped with little strips of fat free cheese.”. Doesn’t sound too healthy or intelligent to me. I am happy he found something that has worked for him to keep weight off long term, but I can’t imagine this being a healthy and effective life long plan for most people to live with. I received this copy from the publisher in exchange for an unbiased review.