Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Somewhere to Belong by Judith Miller

This is the story of two girls, both living in the same colony in 1877, but with very different personalities. Life in the colony is far different than the “simple life” it is meant to be, as secrets and lies abound. I found the characters in this story to be well developed, but the story itself was lacking for me. I felt that the community of Amana described in the book encompassed everything that is wrong with Christianity. The majority of the people seemed to be incapable of giving grace and really showing God’s love. It didn’t leave me with a good feeling, but merely frustrated. I wanted to like the community, but it seemed such an unlikable group. I would be willing to give the next book in the series a try to see where it ends up going. I received this book from the publisher, Bethany House, in return for an impartial review.