Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Greater Love by Robert Whitlow

I am a huge fan of suspense novels, and have a few favorite authors that I am loyal to. It takes a lot for me to branch out and take a risk when it comes to this genre, and so I was very reluctant to read this novel. I am picky and want my suspense to be both believable and thrilling at the same time, a tall order that is rarely lived up to. I have never read a Christian mystery/suspense, so while I was intrigued enough to give this book a try, I wasn’t expecting a whole lot. However, I ended up being pleasantly surprised! It is a real page turner, and the mystery succeeds at keeping you guessing all the way through. The characters are well thought out and believable. I don’t want to give anything away, (I hate it when reviews do that), so I won’t go into the plot any more deeply than the summary does. I will say that I found it very encouraging that a book of this genre with clear Christian overtones did not end up being hokey. I will definitely read all the others by this author, and I will be much more open to other Christian suspense works. I underestimated how nice it is to read the work of an author who shares my own beliefs, even in a work of fiction. Great read and worth the time.